Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy visiting from time to time. I will have fun posting information related to current projects, my travels, or just random thoughts! Feel free to post your comments anytime.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters

10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
By Dr. Meg Meeker

I just finished a wonderful book "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters" by Dr. Meg Meeker and I recommend it to any dad with girls. As a father of daughters, it is one of the best books I have read on parenting. Dr. Meeker shares indisputable evidence that a father is THE most important influence a girl has in her life. Her outlook on life, the decisions she makes, her faith, and even her view of herself is incredibly influenced by her dad. 

She closes the book with this statement: "One day when she is grown, something between the two of you will shift. If you have done your job well, she will choose another good man to love her, fight for her, and be intimately connected to her. But he will never replace you in her heart, because you were there first. And that's the ultimate reward for being a good dad." 

Make sure if your daughter is at home or comes home soon... invite her into the studio... hang out and just be together. It's a small interruption and an important one.

5 comments:

Joel said...

I just ordered the book after hearing a glowing Dave Ramsey endorsement, and having read your review I am even more eager to dive into it.
By the way, I really like your specs! But cannot identify them.

MIchael Shane Neal said...

Hi Joel- You'll really appreciate the book. Many eye opening statistics as well as practical advice to dads. I kept a highlighter in hand for future quick reference on things that really stood out. Thanks for stopping in and neat to hear from another Dave Ramsey fan!

Unknown said...

Hi Shane - I haven't ordered my copy yet, but it is moving up on my reading list with this second endorsement (I love my Dave Ramsey pep talk too). I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere between John Adams and Winston Churchill!

MIchael Shane Neal said...

Thanks for stopping in Tracy! It is a must read, but so is John Adams and most anything on Churchill. Throw in a Sargent book every time you can! Hope to see you soon.

Tommy Thompson said...

Shane, We read about your blog on Alyson Stanfield's newsletter on www.artbizcoach.com Thanks for mentioning the book, "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters." This will make great Father's Day presents for all the fathers of daughters in our family this year!
All the Best, Marie Thompson